70,237 drug overdose deaths occurred in the United States in 2017. The age-adjusted rate of overdose deaths increased significantly by 9.6% from 2016 (19.8 per 100,000) to 2017 (21.7 per 100,000). Opioids—mainly synthetic opioids (other than methadone)—are currently the main driver of drug overdose deaths. Opioids were involved in 47,600 overdose deaths in 2017 (67.8% of all drug overdose deaths).
About Dr. Randall Mintz
- 15+ yrs in practice in primary care (in-patient and out-patient), occupational and addiction medicine
- advanced training in aviation and dive medicine
- Focused Practice designation in Addiction Medicine
- 10 yrs as a military medical officer – extensive leadership experience in preventive and occupational medicine, healthcare information privacy, policy guidance and implementation
- 20 yrs as a military rotary wing pilot (1985-2004) with deployments worldwide